It's essential for businesses of any size to create a diverse team of Engineers, and using these Engineering job description templates can help you attract top talent. These templates include editable job description samples with Engineering responsibilities, tasks, skills, education, and suggested experience.
By using an Engineering job description template, you can create a job description for various positions, including Aircraft Technician, Calibration Technician, Civil Engineering Technician, Plant Operator, and more. Whether you're hiring one employee or building a large talent pool, it all begins with a well-crafted job description.
What Do Engineering Professionals Do?
Engineers who are qualified apply principles of science and mathematics, technical abilities, and commercial knowledge to create new products and production processes, maintain machinery and equipment, test procedures, and tackle intricate issues. Typically, engineers concentrate on specific fields such as electrical, chemical, civil, managerial, geotechnical, or mechanical engineering, project management, or software development.
Engineering Positions and Titles
Recruiters should select the appropriate engineer job description template for a job title such as:
- Mechanical Engineer
- Production Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Structural Engineer
Engineering Responsibilities and Duties
Engineering jobs require individuals to undertake a variety of duties, with a focus on ensuring the effectiveness and safety of products, systems, and processes. These jobs typically require the following:
- Project management and coordination
- Developing practical solutions to real-world problems
- Identifying and diagnosing faults
- Providing training to colleagues or clients
- Preparing detailed drawings and plans
- Defining project specifications
- Ensuring project requirements and deadlines are met
- Collaborating with engineers and other teams
- Communicating with clients, senior management, and stakeholders
- Maintaining project budgets
- Conducting analysis and preparing technical reports
- Utilizing tools and machinery
- Maintaining equipment
- Ensuring adherence to regulations and safety standards
- Implementing new technologies as appropriate
Essential Engineering Skills
To attract qualified candidates for your electrical, chemical, or mechanical engineering job, it's important to clearly define the knowledge and skills you require. Job seekers should possess the following essential skills:
- Problem-solving skills
- Solutions-oriented mindset
- Proficiency in mechanical engineering
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Motivation and leadership/interpersonal skills
- Conflict resolution
- Design skills
- Mathematics proficiency
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
Engineering Education and Qualifications
Education and qualifications are essential when looking for a qualified engineer. A Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in a relevant field is typically required, including:
- Structural Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Coastal Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electromechanical Engineering
- Engineering Manufacturing
- Process Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
Other relevant qualifications that demonstrate expertise include a Level 4 HNC in Engineering or a Level 5 HND in Construction and the Built Environment. Certifications and accreditations from professional engineering institutions such as the Engineering Council or the Institution of Chemical Engineers are also excellent indicators of a candidate's ability and expertise.
Engineering Training and Experience
Candidates' relevant work experience and knowledge in building and construction, engineering software, and design can influence their starting salary levels. Higher starting salaries may be offered to those who have completed a Civil Engineer Degree Apprenticeship, Manufacturing Engineer Degree Apprenticeship, Electro-Mechanical Engineer Higher Apprenticeship, or Power and Propulsion Gas Turbine Engineer Higher Apprenticeship.
Frequently Asked Questions about Engineering Job Descriptions
Here we answer your engineering job description frequently asked questions.