Our Adoption Coordinator job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Adoption Coordinator role
An Adoption Coordinator is responsible for facilitating the adoption process for prospective adoptive parents. The Adoption Coordinator helps to match children in need of homes with families, assists with paperwork, provides emotional support to both parties, and ensures that all parties comply with state and federal laws governing adoption.
The purpose of an Adoption Coordinator is to facilitate the adoption process by providing resources, support and guidance to adoptive families and birth parents. They also work in collaboration with social workers, attorneys, and other professionals to ensure that the adoption process is conducted in a legal and ethical manner. Adoption Coordinators are responsible for managing the paperwork and communication related to the adoption process, providing counseling to birth parents and adoptive families, and arranging for home study visits. They also provide education to adoptive families about the adoption process and the rights of birth parents.
Adoption Coordinator Summary
The Adoption Coordinator is responsible for providing support for families before, during and after the adoption process. This includes providing information and support to families, coordinating meetings and home visits, and working with state and county agencies. The Adoption Coordinator is also responsible for maintaining contact with birth families, and providing referrals to post-adoption services. The successful candidate must have a passion for helping families, excellent communication and organizational skills, and an understanding of the complexities of adoption.
Adoption Coordinator Duties
- Develop and manage relationships with adoptive families and foster care agencies
- Coordinate the adoption process from start to finish
- Provide support services to adoptive parents and birth parents
- Train and educate staff, adoptive families and foster care agencies about adoption processes
- Assist in developing and implementing policies and procedures related to adoption
- Conduct home studies and interviews to ensure prospective adoptive families meet state and federal guidelines
- Monitor and track all adoption cases
- Oversee and review all adoption paperwork and contracts
- Collaborate with medical and mental health professionals in providing services to birth parents and adoptive families
Adoption Coordinator Skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to manage a high-volume workload
- Knowledge of adoption laws and regulations
- Experience working with families and children
- Computer proficiency
Adoption Coordinator Requirements
- Manage the adoption process from initial application to post-adoption follow-up
- Provide counseling to families considering adoption and handle requisitions to ensure legal compliance
- Facilitate the matching of children in need of adoption with prospective parents
- Communicate regularly with families and other stakeholders involved in the adoption process
- Maintain accurate records of all adoptions
- Provide education and information to families about adoption options and requirements
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to empathize