Our Certified Surgical Technician job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Certified Surgical Technician role
Certified Surgical Technicians (CSTs) are health care professionals who assist in surgical operations by preparing the operating room, organizing surgical equipment, and providing direct assistance to surgeons. They ensure the safety of patients and the sterile environment of the operating room. CSTs must possess strong knowledge of anatomy, medical terminology, and surgical procedures.
The purpose of a Certified Surgical Technician (CST) is to assist surgeons, anesthesiologists, and other medical personnel during surgical operations. The CST is responsible for preparing the operating room, ensuring that all the necessary instruments and equipment are available, and assisting with the positioning, draping, and prepping of the patient. They may also assist the surgeon by passing instruments, controlling bleeding, and suturing. In some cases, the CST may provide post-operative care to the patient. The CST is a vital part of the operating room team and plays an important role in the successful outcome of a surgical procedure.
Certified Surgical Technician Summary
Certified Surgical Technician Job Summary:
A Certified Surgical Technician is responsible for providing assistance to surgeons during surgical procedures. They must be able to anticipate the needs of the surgeon and provide the appropriate instruments and supplies. They must be able to follow instructions, maintain a sterile environment, and work in a fast-paced operating room. Responsibilities also include preparing the patient for surgery, setting up the operating room, and cleaning and sterilizing surgical instruments. A Certified Surgical Technician must possess excellent communication skills and have the ability to work with a diverse patient population.
Certified Surgical Technician Duties
- Assist surgical team during operations by setting up instrument trays, passing instruments, and holding retractors
- Maintain a sterile and safe surgical environment
- Provide care and support to patients before and after surgery
- Maintain and restock operating room supplies and equipment
- Monitor and document patient vital signs
Certified Surgical Technician Skills
- Knowledge of anatomy
- Familiarity with medical terminology
- Proficiency in sterile techniques
- Ability to follow instructions accurately
- Ability to work in a team environment
Certified Surgical Technician Requirements
- Current certification as a Surgical Technician from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently
- Ability to comprehend and utilize medical terminology
- Knowledge of aseptic technique, sterilization processes and the use of medical equipment
- Proficiency in setting up the operating room, passing instruments, and providing assistance to surgeons during invasive procedures
- Excellent time-management skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to work well under pressure