Our Certified Phlebotomy Technician job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Certified Phlebotomy Technician role
Certified Phlebotomy Technicians are responsible for collecting blood samples from patients for laboratory testing, preparing specimens for laboratory testing, and performing other related duties based on the needs of their place of employment. They must possess excellent technical and organizational skills, knowledge of medical terminology and procedures, and be familiar with the use of laboratory equipment.
The purpose of a Certified Phlebotomy Technician is to collect and process blood samples for laboratory testing and analysis. This role requires expert knowledge of laboratory safety and aseptic techniques, as well as the ability to accurately collect and label specimens. The technician must also be well-versed in specimen collection and processing protocols, equipment operation and maintenance, and quality assurance procedures. In addition, Certified Phlebotomy Technicians are responsible for providing patient care and education, and may also be called upon to perform various administrative tasks.
Certified Phlebotomy Technician Summary
Certified Phlebotomy Technician Job Summary:
A Certified Phlebotomy Technician is responsible for performing blood draws and other specimen collection procedures in a medical setting. This position requires the technician to accurately and safely draw blood from patients, label and store the specimens, and ensure that all collections are recorded properly and accurately. The technician must also be knowledgeable about proper disposal of biohazardous materials, be able to communicate effectively with patients and other medical staff, and maintain a clean and organized work environment. The ideal candidate should be a team player, have excellent customer service skills, and be able to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
Certified Phlebotomy Technician Duties
- Prepare patients for blood draws by explaining the procedure
- Perform blood draws or other lab specimen collections
- Label, process and test specimens
- Verify patient information
- Document patient information
- Maintain clean and safe work environment
Certified Phlebotomy Technician Skills
- Preparing specimens for laboratory testing
- Performing blood collection by venipuncture and capillary puncture
- Labeling, storing, and transporting specimens
- Maintaining a safe and clean work environment
Certified Phlebotomy Technician Requirements
- Must be certified by a recognized phlebotomy technician certification program
- Must have knowledge of medical terminology and laboratory procedures
- Must have a basic understanding of anatomy and physiology
- Must be able to communicate effectively with patients
- Must be able to accurately collect and process blood samples
- Must be able to maintain accurate records of collected specimens
- Attention to detail