Our Behavioral Health Counselor job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Behavioral Health Counselor role
A behavioral health counselor is a mental health professional who works with individuals, families, and groups to help them understand and manage their mental health and emotional well-being. They provide assessment and counseling services to help clients understand their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, and develop healthy coping strategies.
The purpose of a behavioral health counselor is to help individuals and families identify and address mental and behavioral health issues, such as depression, anxiety, addiction, and trauma. Counselors provide support and guidance to help individuals and families develop healthy coping skills and develop positive lifestyle changes. They also provide crisis intervention, referral services, and education to help individuals and families improve their mental and emotional well-being.
Behavioral Health Counselor Summary
The Behavioral Health Counselor provides counseling and therapy services to individuals, couples, and families to help them address a wide range of mental health and behavioral issues. The Counselor will assess clients' needs and develop treatment plans that incorporate evidence-based therapeutic approaches, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness-based interventions, and psychotherapy. The Counselor will also provide crisis intervention, refer clients to community resources, and collaborate with other health professionals as needed. This position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work with a diverse population.
Behavioral Health Counselor Duties
- Provide individual and group counseling to clients with mental health and/or substance abuse issues
- Develop treatment plans and provide crisis intervention
- Maintain client records and document progress
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals to coordinate services
- Educate clients and families on mental health and substance abuse topics
Behavioral Health Counselor Skills
- active listening
- interpersonal communication
- conflict resolution
- counseling techniques
- psychosocial assessment
Behavioral Health Counselor Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in counseling, social work, psychology, or other related field
- Licensure or certification in behavioral health counseling
- Knowledge of individual, family, and group counseling techniques
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional relationship with clients
- Interpersonal skills