Our Academic Counselor job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Academic Counselor role
An academic counselor helps students make educational plans and reach academic goals. They provide guidance on college admission, course selection, and career planning. They also help students build study skills and manage stress.
The purpose of an Academic Counselor is to provide students with comprehensive academic guidance to help them reach their educational goals. This includes providing students with information about course selection, degree/career planning, tutoring options, financial aid, and other academic resources. Academic Counselors also serve as advocates for students and work to ensure equity and access. Additionally, Academic Counselors may provide personal counseling to help students address challenges or obstacles that interfere with their academic success.
Academic Counselor Summary
The Academic Counselor is responsible for providing guidance and assistance to students in order to help them achieve their academic goals. The Academic Counselor will assess student needs, develop academic plans, provide support, and offer resources and guidance to help students reach their academic objectives. The Academic Counselor will also review transcripts, evaluate test scores, and recommend courses and programs to help students meet their educational goals. Other duties include providing guidance on college/university applications and admissions, financial aid, and career planning. The Academic Counselor must also maintain accurate records and provide progress reports to students and their families.
Academic Counselor Duties
- Advise students on academic course selections and progress towards degree completion
- Develop academic plans and goals for students
- Identify at-risk students and develop strategies for intervention
- Monitor student enrollment and academic performance
- Provide guidance on college admissions processes and scholarship applications
- Help students to develop time management and study skills
Academic Counselor Skills
Academic Counselor Requirements
- A Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Experience in academic advising
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to be organized and multi-task
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Patience and empathy
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to handle confidential information