Our Art Preparator job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Art Preparator role
An Art Preparator is a professional responsible for the installation, handling, and de-installation of artwork for exhibitions, galleries, and other displays. They are skilled in a variety of tasks, including hanging artwork, constructing frames and pedestals, and packing artwork for shipping. Art Preparators must possess strong organizational skills, demonstrate attention to detail, and take pride in their work.
The purpose of an art preparator is to prepare and install artwork for exhibitions, displays, and other events. This may include building or assembling frames and pedestals, mounting artwork on walls, and setting up lighting. Art preparators are also responsible for the safe handling, packing, shipping, and storage of artwork. They often work closely with art handlers, curators, conservators, and other museum professionals.
Art Preparator Summary
The Art Preparator is responsible for the installation, maintenance, and care of artwork in a museum, gallery, or other art-related setting. This position involves a wide range of tasks including preparing, assembling, and displaying artwork; packing and crating artwork for storage or shipping; and providing preventative maintenance for artwork and related equipment. The Art Preparator must have a strong knowledge of art materials and processes, as well as the physical requirements necessary to handle and install artwork safely and securely. This position requires excellent attention to detail and a commitment to the highest standards of art preservation and presentation.
Art Preparator Duties
- Maintain and prepare gallery and exhibition spaces
- Handle and install artworks
- Assemble and fabricate custom platforms, walls, and pedestals
- Fabricate and paint custom frames
- Install and maintain lighting systems
- Maintain and fabricate special equipment
- Clean and maintain gallery and exhibition spaces
Art Preparator Skills
- Ability to handle and install artwork of all sizes
- Knowledge of proper art installation techniques
- Ability to read and understand written instructions
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to lift and move artwork
- Ability to use appropriate tools
Art Preparator Requirements
- Ability to read and interpret instructions
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects
- Good manual dexterity
- Knowledge of fine art materials and techniques
- Good organizational skills
- Able to lift and move heavy objects
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment