Our Animal Care Specialist job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Animal Care Specialist role
An Animal Care Specialist is responsible for the care and wellbeing of animals in a variety of settings. Duties include providing food, water and shelter, administering medication, grooming, training, exercising, and cleaning habitats. Animal Care Specialists must be knowledgeable about animal behavior, animal health and safety, and relevant regulations.
The purpose of an animal care specialist is to provide quality care for animals in a variety of settings. They are responsible for the health and well-being of animals, including feeding, grooming, medical care, and exercising. Animal care specialists must also maintain a clean and safe environment for animals, as well as ensure that all animals are handled with care and respect. Additionally, they may provide educational resources to pet owners and assist with animal rescue and adoption.
Animal Care Specialist Summary
Animal Care Specialist Job Summary
As an Animal Care Specialist, you will be responsible for providing daily care and attention to animals in a shelter, kennel, or other animal care facility. You will be in charge of both routine and emergency care, as well as monitoring the health and well-being of animals in your care. Other duties include cleaning and sanitizing animal cages and areas, providing food and water to animals, administering medications and vaccinations, and helping with the adoption process. You must possess excellent communication and customer service skills, and be able to work with animals of all shapes, sizes, and temperaments.
Animal Care Specialist Duties
- Provide daily care and enrichment for animals in a facility
- Ensure animal safety, health, and comfort
- Clean and maintain cages and enclosures
- Monitor animal behavior and report any abnormalities
- Provide food and water to animals
- Train and handle animals
- Organize and maintain animal records and files
Animal Care Specialist Skills
- Animal handling
- Knowledge of animal health and nutrition
- Ability to detect health problems
- Ability to interact with animals and owners
- Ability to perform basic medical treatment
- Knowledge of animal behavior and training
Animal Care Specialist Requirements
- Proficiency in animal handling and care
- Experience in providing animal medical treatment and administering medications
- Knowledge of animal nutrition and behavior
- Ability to manage large groups of animals
- Knowledgeable of animal behavior and care
- Good communication skills