When recruiting new staff, preparing a job description is a crucial step for business leaders to take. A job description template can be a helpful resource to guide you through the process by outlining the essential details needed for the job description. In addition, a good template can also provide guidance for creating effective job advertisements.
Hiring People provides an example of a comprehensive job description template that includes the responsibilities and duties of the role, as well as the required hard and soft skills. The template also specifies the day-to-day tasks that the successful candidate will be expected to carry out.
By utilizing a job description template, you can ensure that your job description contains all the necessary information, saving you time and effort. Moreover, it allows you to gain insight into the key components required when creating job descriptions.
To attract top talent, a well-written job description must also include other pertinent details, such as the reporting structure, managerial responsibilities, and the position's goals. By providing this information, you can increase the chances of attracting the right candidates for the job.
A job description template should clearly convey the role's integration within the company and provide a concise summary of the responsibilities. This is critical as an accurate job description can prevent you from wasting time dealing with unqualified applicants who misunderstood the job requirements.
To create an effective job description, you need to provide essential details such as the expected travel requirements, employment type, required qualifications, salary range, and expected working hours. Additionally, it's crucial to specify the type of candidate you're seeking and the desired level of experience. Providing an overview of the company culture and recruitment process can also help inform job seekers and reduce the likelihood of questions later in the process.
What Is a Job Description?
What is a job description? A job description, also known as a job profile or JD, is a document that outlines a particular role's requirements, responsibilities, and necessary skills in simple terms. An effective job description clarifies what the role entails, the necessary skills, and how the role fits within the organization. By doing so, job descriptions ensure that all team members understand their role requirements throughout the business.
Job descriptions are critical not only for recruiting the right candidates but also for ensuring that employees fulfill their job duties and responsibilities. As such, they are a useful tool for performance reviews, provided they are specific enough.
An accurate job description ensures that a company hires the most suitable people and prevents the overlooking of essential skills during the hiring process. Our job description library offers examples that can be tailored to your business's needs as a starting point.
To save time and simplify the process of creating a job description, our job description templates can be utilized.
How do you Write a Job Description?
When creating a job description, it's important to have a basic understanding of document layout, even when using a template. Here are some tips to help you write a well-crafted job description that attracts qualified candidates:
- Choose a job description template that best suits your needs.
- Include the job title, making sure to use a common industry term or a term used in other companies for the same job.
- State the role's responsibilities clearly in the opening sentences. If you're unsure, consult someone who has a thorough understanding of the role; guessing is not an option.
- Accurately list the duties and responsibilities of the role, ensuring that they are up-to-date.
- Specify any required qualifications, skills, or other important criteria.
- Give concrete examples of success metrics for the role.
- Provide information on the role's reporting structure.
- Ensure that everyone involved, including the Line Manager, the Managing Director, and HR, is in agreement with the job description.
In addition to downloading a job description and personalizing it to suit your company's needs, a general job description template is also available for download that covers any role.
Is a Job Description the same as a Job Advert?
Although both job descriptions and job adverts describe the duties, qualifications, and skills required for a particular role, they serve different purposes. A job description is an internal document that provides more detailed information personalized to the company. It serves as a reference for employee disputes or disciplinary issues, clarifies expectations, states who the position reports, and enables performance reviews. Job descriptions are lengthy and descriptive, useful for measuring a candidate's performance and ensuring they achieve the set aims.
On the other hand, a job advert aims to attract candidates to the company and is short and to the point, without being weighed down with lots of detail. It uses concise language to outline essential duties and basic information about the ideal candidate. Job adverts should sell the company to prospective candidates, and therefore need to be compelling.
Writing detailed job descriptions for a company is time-consuming, but it is a worthwhile investment as it is helpful both during the recruitment stage and when employees are in a particular role. Using a template can significantly reduce the time and effort required for this essential task. Hiring People offers job description templates that can be downloaded in Microsoft Word format or another type of file and quickly customized to suit the needs of your business.
Our library contains job description templates that can be used as job adverts or tailored for job descriptions. We also provide job advert templates that will help you to create a great advert and target candidates for your next job role.
What are the uses of Job Descriptions?
Creating a job description can be a time-consuming process, but it’s important to understand why it’s necessary. Job descriptions serve several purposes, including:
- Outlining the specific job duties and responsibilities for potential employees and current employees.
- Providing the basis for a job advertisement to attract the right candidates and new hire.
- Helping to determine the necessary education, qualifications, and experience for the ideal candidate.
- Establishing a clear job summary that can be shared with clients.
- Clarifying job responsibilities for employees and managers alike.
- Setting targets and guidelines for managers to manage their team.
- Establishing company standards for a particular role.
- Providing clarity on the required expertise and qualifications required for a job or new employee.
Creating a job description can be a valuable tool for both employers and job seekers. By clearly outlining the role and expectations, a job description can help ensure a successful recruitment process and set the foundation for a productive and successful employee. It's an essential document that should not be overlooked.
Tips for Writing a Good Job Description
To set expectations correctly and ensure that your job description is effective, it's important to refer to examples of job descriptions that are relevant to your industry, like the ones provided on our website. In addition, you should have a clear understanding of what qualities and skills you want in your ideal new team member. Here are some practical tips to help you achieve that:
- Make the job description engaging, concise, and detailed.
- Describe the necessary personal characteristics accurately.
- Select an appropriate job title.
- Work with current employees to create an accurate and compelling job description.
- Conduct research to identify the position's key responsibilities.
- Incorporate your company's narrative and set the stage.
- Provide a clear overview of the job and its expectations.
- Avoid using jargon or industry terminology.
- Use verbs or action words to grab the reader's attention.
- Outline the company's standards and expectations.
- Use present tense language.
- Use gender-neutral language.
- Make sure that it is proofread.
By following these tips, you can craft a comprehensive job description that increases your chances of finding the perfect candidate for your role.
What to Include when Writing Job Descriptions
To create a great job description, it's important to know what to include. First, take a look at some sample job descriptions to get an idea. Here are some tips to help you create an effective job description:
- List the job duties in order of importance, so candidates can quickly understand what the role entails.
- Specify the required level of experience, so you attract candidates who have the necessary skills.
- Describe the desired personality traits or soft skills needed for the role.
- Use gender-neutral language to avoid any bias.
- Specify the required qualifications, so you attract candidates who meet the necessary criteria.
- Candidates expect you to include details about salary and benefits so they can evaluate the role.
- Specify any required travel or location, so candidates know what's expected.
By following these tips, you can create a job description that effectively communicates the requirements of the role and attracts the best candidates in the industry.
To ensure your job profile is comprehensive, it's important to anticipate the common questions that candidates may have and provide the answers in the job description. Some of the frequently asked questions that you should address are:
- Is remote work an option for this role?
- Are there any flexible working arrangements available?
- Is a clean driving license a requirement for this position?
- What are the physical demands of the job?
- What does a typical working day look like in your company?
By creating a reusable job description template for your business, you can save time and effort in the recruitment process. Simply update the necessary details while keeping the company information consistent. Share the template and past descriptions with your managers, so they can use them as a reference when hiring new employees. This can help ensure consistency in job descriptions across different departments and roles.
What Is a Job Specification?
What is a job specification? HR Managers rely on a job specification to define the ideal employee profile that includes emotional characteristics, traits, and qualifications required for a position.
A well-crafted job specification helps Hiring Managers during the selection process to evaluate candidates. Candidates can also use the job specification to assess if they are suitable for the role by comparing their qualifications, experience, and skills to the job specification provided.
In a job advertisement, a job title is usually accompanied by a job description, followed by a job specification. A job description provides a detailed overview of the position, including both general and specific information about the role and working conditions. The job specification outlines the education and work experience required to complete the job. By using both a job description and job specification, HR Managers can identify the necessary training required for employees to succeed in their roles.
Our job/person specification example is created based on a comprehensive job analysis. While the template provides a useful guide, it is essential to include unique job requirements for each position.
How do you Begin Job Posting and the Hiring Process?
Once you have your job description template in hand, you can move forward with creating your job advertisement and launching your recruitment process.
Recruiting new staff and the right person is a time-consuming process that can be a drain on your internal team's resources. However, partnering with experts like Hiring People can help you save time and attract better candidates for your open positions.
At Hiring People, we offer talent acquisition software that enables you to manage the entire recruitment process and keep costs low. Our flat-fee business model means you can post your job advertisement across multiple job boards and social media platforms, identify the most qualified candidates, and receive assistance with the hiring and interviewing process without incurring high agency fees.
To get started, browse our library of job description templates to find examples of a variety of roles. After you've developed your job description, explore our job advertisement templates and select a package that suits your needs. Then, you can initiate the recruitment process with ease and work towards achieving your business objectives.
Writing Job Descriptions with Job Description Examples
We suggest utilizing a job description template from our extensive library, which encompasses over 800 examples for various jobs and professions, as the first step in writing a job description. Our job description examples feature a job summary that outlines the duties, responsibilities, required tasks, necessary skills, and requirements, all of which can be tailored to fit your specific job vacancy.
Job Description Advice: Personalizing a Job Specification Example Template
Personalization is key in the hiring process to attract top talent in a competitive employment market. When it comes to filling crucial or senior roles, it is likely that the best candidates are also being targeted by other employers. This is why it's important to make a strong first impression when writing a job description and provide exceptional service throughout the recruiting process.
Good Job Description Tips: Formatting a Job Specification Template Example
When creating a customized job description and advertisement, it is essential to cover and highlight the following points:
- Job title: Use relevant keywords that talented job seekers may use to search for jobs, and make sure the job title accurately reflects the position.
- Job duties and job responsibilities: Clearly state the day-to-day tasks and responsibilities of the role, which may vary depending on the company.
- Technical skills: Specify any required hard skills, such as proficiency in a particular software or programming language.
- Soft skills: Highlight interpersonal skills, general abilities, and previous experience, such as time management, customer service, teamwork, and problem-solving.
- Company culture: Emphasize your company's values and culture to ensure that employees can thrive in a positive work environment.
- Career progression: Detail the potential for career growth and development to entice candidates who are looking for opportunities to progress.
- Training and development programs: Specify any educational or training programs that the company offers.
- Employee benefits: Mention compensation and benefits, such as working hours and paid leave, to give candidates a better understanding of what the company offers.
- Skill gaps: Consider the skills that may be necessary beyond those required for the position, and promote diversity.
- Legal requirements: Ensure that the job advertisement and description adhere to legal requirements, avoiding asking for inappropriate or discriminatory personal details, such as age, marital status, or religion.
How to Hire with a Job Description Template
Once you write a job description using a job description template, convert it into a job an advert. Job roles and job postings can be uploaded by an hiring manager onto a network of job boards to attract qualified applicants and potential candidates.