Our Able Seaman job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Able Seaman role
An Able Seaman is a naval rating of the deck department of a ship. The duties of an Able Seaman include general maintenance and upkeep of the ship's deck, as well as all related equipment and machinery. Able Seamen also perform tasks such as standing watch, helming, and operating winches and rigging.
The purpose of an Able Seaman (AB) job role is to serve as a skilled member of a ship's deck crew. ABs are responsible for a variety of tasks, including maintaining the vessel, operating deck machinery and equipment, helping to launch and recover boats, and standing watch. They must also be knowledgeable about safety procedures, navigation rules, and seamanship. ABs must be able to work in a variety of environments and climates, and must be physically fit. The ability to work as part of a team is essential.
Able Seaman Summary
An Able Seaman is responsible for a variety of tasks related to the safe and efficient operation of a ship. They assist in the navigation of the ship, perform maintenance and repair work, and act as lookouts. Able Seamen are an essential part of any maritime crew and must have a good understanding of the maritime environment. They must remain vigilant, be able to react quickly in emergencies, and be able to work as part of a team.
Able Seaman Duties
- Assisting the bosun in the daily operation of the deck department
- Performing deck maintenance and repairs
- Helping with mooring and un-mooring operations
- Carrying out safety inspections and tests
- Operating deck machinery and equipment
- Participating in emergency drills and operations
Able Seaman Skills
- Ability to work on deck in all weather conditions
- Ability to take instructions and follow them
- Ability to maintain and repair deck equipment
- Ability to tie knots and splice rope
- Ability to work aloft and on rigging
- Ability to work in confined spaces
Able Seaman Requirements
- Ability to understand orders and directions from supervisors and officers
- Ability to climb and do physical labor
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Knowledge of safety regulations and procedures
- Ability to use basic tools and machinery
- Strong physical stamina
- Ability to take orders
- Knowledge of maritime regulations
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment