Our Catechist job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Catechist role
A Catechist is a religious educator who instructs people in the Catholic faith, typically as part of a parish or school setting. They use scripture, prayer, and other teachings to share the Christian message.
The purpose of a catechist is to teach the Catholic faith and to guide individuals in their spiritual journey. Catechists provide instruction and guidance in the Catholic faith to children, youth, and adults. They lead classes and activities that help people understand and live out the teachings of the Catholic Church. They also help individuals to form a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and to grow in their faith.
Catechist Job Summary
A Catechist is responsible for teaching the Catholic faith to students in a parish or school setting. The Catechist must be knowledgeable in the Catholic faith, its teachings, and its traditions. The Catechist will provide instruction to children, teens, and adults in religious education, and provide instruction in preparation for the Sacraments of Baptism, First Communion, and Confirmation. The Catechist will collaborate with the Pastor and other staff to plan and organize religious education programs, and develop and present religious education materials. The Catechist will also provide spiritual guidance and support to students and parents. The Catechist should possess strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills, and be able to work in a team environment.
- Prepare lessons and teach the Catholic faith to students
- Lead students in prayer and discussion about the teachings of the Catholic Church
- Develop and evaluate lesson plans to ensure the curriculum is being met
- Work with students and their parents to help enhance their spiritual lives
- Stay up to date with changes in the Catholic Church
- Ability to communicate effectively with children and adults
- Ability to explain Catholic teachings
- Knowledge of the Bible and Church history
- Ability to lead group discussions
- Ability to develop and teach a comprehensive catechetical program in the Catholic faith
- Knowledge of Catholic doctrine, sacramental theology, ecumenism, and the Bible
- Ability to work with parish staff and collaborate with volunteers
- Ability to plan and implement catechetical programs for various age groups