Our Internal Revenue Agent job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Internal Revenue Agent role
Internal Revenue Agents (IRAs) are responsible for auditing and enforcing tax laws, collecting unpaid taxes, and investigating fraud. They typically work in federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as with the IRS. IRAs must understand the complex laws and regulations that govern the U.S. tax system, and must be able to accurately interpret them to ensure taxpayers are in compliance with applicable tax laws.
The purpose of an Internal Revenue Agent is to ensure that individuals and businesses comply with federal income tax laws by collecting the necessary information and examining financial records. They also audit tax returns and investigate cases of suspected fraud. Additionally, Internal Revenue Agents may provide guidance on tax-related matters and help taxpayers understand their rights and obligations.
Internal Revenue Agent Summary
An Internal Revenue Agent is responsible for conducting audits, reviewing financial documents, and investigating tax returns to ensure the accuracy of reported income and withholding taxes. This position requires excellent communication and organizational skills, as well as the ability to work independently. The Internal Revenue Agent must be comfortable working with complex financial concepts and have a strong understanding of tax regulations. This job involves working with both individuals and businesses to ensure they are in compliance with federal and state laws. Additionally, the Internal Revenue Agent may be called upon to provide expert advice and assistance to taxpayers.
Internal Revenue Agent Duties
- Examine financial records to ensure compliance with federal tax laws
- Review records of past audits to determine if additional taxes are owed
- Calculate accrued interest and penalties for delinquent taxes
- Analyze financial data to identify potential areas for audit
- Investigate and resolve taxpayer inquiries and complaints
- Prepare reports of audit findings and recommend tax adjustments or refunds
Internal Revenue Agent Skills
- Proficiency in applicable tax laws and regulations
- Ability to interpret and apply regulations
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent knowledge of accounting procedures
Internal Revenue Agent Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or related field
- CPA or Certified Internal Auditor designation preferred
- At least 2 years of experience in auditing, taxation or related field
- Strong communication skills
- Organization skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently