Our Certified Coding Specialist job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Certified Coding Specialist role
A Certified Coding Specialist is responsible for accurately coding medical records using the most up-to-date industry standards. This position requires knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology, as well as the ability to interpret medical charts and documents. The Certified Coding Specialist is also responsible for ensuring that all codes are compliant with governmental regulations and requirements.
The purpose of a Certified Coding Specialist is to accurately and efficiently code medical records in order to support billing and reimbursement processes. They ensure that all medical records are accurately and consistently coded in accordance with established coding guidelines. They also maintain an up-to-date knowledge of coding systems, regulations, and standards in order to ensure accuracy and compliance. Certified Coding Specialists are vital to the success of medical practices, hospitals, and other healthcare organizations.
Certified Coding Specialist Summary
A Certified Coding Specialist is responsible for accurately assigning codes to medical documents and records, as well as verifying accuracy, completeness, and authenticity of all medical coding related tasks. The Certified Coding Specialist is also responsible for staying abreast of all coding changes and updates, maintaining accurate records of all coding procedures, and consulting with physicians and other healthcare personnel to ensure the accuracy of medical coding. The Certified Coding Specialist must have a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology and be able to accurately interpret medical terms, diagnoses, and treatments. They must have excellent organizational and communication skills, and be able to work as part of a team.
Certified Coding Specialist Duties
- Review patient medical records for accuracy and completeness
- Ensure coding accuracy and compliance with established coding standards
- Perform data entry of patient information into coding and billing systems
- Assign appropriate diagnostic and procedural codes for healthcare services and procedures
- Track and report coding discrepancies
- Identify and resolve coding issues
- Provide coding education and support to providers
- Stay current with coding updates and changes
Certified Coding Specialist Skills
- Medical Terminology
- Computer Proficiency
- Knowledge of Coding Systems and Guidelines
Certified Coding Specialist Requirements
- Knowledge of medical coding procedures and official coding guidelines
- Ability to accurately interpret and code diagnoses and procedures from patient medical records
- Proficiency in coding software and databases
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Proficient in medical coding software