Our Apothecary job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Apothecary role
An Apothecary is a healthcare professional who dispenses medications, prepares prescriptions, and provides advice and counsel on the use and effects of medicines and other health-related products.
The purpose of an Apothecary is to prepare and dispense medications and provide advice on the indications, contraindications, and side effects of medications to both patients and health care professionals. They also provide consultation services to patients and other health care providers regarding the use of medications and other health care products, such as vitamins and supplements. In addition, Apothecaries may also provide advice on medical equipment, such as syringes and inhalers, and may be involved in the production of compounded medications.
The Apothecary is responsible for preparing and dispensing medicinal drugs and other healthcare products. They must ensure that all medications are stored properly, accurately measure and compound prescribed medicines, and provide excellent customer service to patients. They must also keep accurate records of all medications dispensed and maintain a clean and safe work environment. The Apothecary must possess strong communication and organizational skills as well as knowledge of medical terminology and pharmaceutical calculations.
- Prepare and dispense medications and other pharmaceutical supplies
- Advise on medications, their dosages and other health-care products
- Maintain inventories, prepare labels and advise on the selection, usage, side effects, interactions and storage of medications
- Compound and dispense prescribed medications, ointments, pills, tablets and other pharmaceuticals for human or veterinary use
- Keep records of the kinds and amounts of medications dispensed
- May specialize in areas such as compounding and consulting, home health care, hospital pharmacy, nuclear pharmacy and managed care
- Preparing and dispensing medications
- Compounding medications
- Maintaining pharmacy inventory
- Assisting with patient counseling
- Providing drug information
- Knowledge of medicinal products and their uses
- Ability to compound and dispense medications
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organizational and problem solving abilities
- Attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work independently