Our Federal Air Marshal job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Federal Air Marshal role
A Federal Air Marshal is an armed law enforcement agent that works for the Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), a branch of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). Their primary mission is to protect commercial aircraft, passengers, and crewmembers from criminal activity, terrorist threats, and other hazards. They deploy on-board aircraft and also work in specialized units to identify and prevent potential threats in airports and other transportation hubs.
The purpose of a Federal Air Marshal is to protect passengers and crew members on aircrafts from potential threats of criminal or terrorist activity. Federal Air Marshals are sworn federal law enforcement officers responsible for providing security and counterterrorism protection on commercial flights. They are trained to observe, detect and prevent potential threats in order to keep passengers and crew safe.
Federal Air Marshal Summary
The Federal Air Marshal is responsible for protecting passengers, crew, and aircraft from criminal or terrorist activity. They are responsible for the safety and security of passengers traveling by air. Air Marshals must be able to maintain a high degree of alertness and concentration while working long hours and in confined spaces such as airplanes. They must be able to take appropriate action in the event of an emergency or a potential threat. Responsibilities include providing surveillance of passengers, monitoring the cabin for suspicious activity, utilizing advanced security techniques, and responding to emergency situations. Air Marshals must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality and must be able to communicate effectively with other law enforcement personnel.
Federal Air Marshal Duties
- Patrol flights to detect and prevent acts of criminal violence and air piracy
- Provide passenger protection, law enforcement, and counter-terrorism services
- Enforce federal regulations and respond to in-flight security incidents
- Confiscate prohibited items and handle disruptive passengers
- Conduct onboard inspections and coordinate with other law enforcement agencies
Federal Air Marshal Skills
- Ability to work in a highly visible and demanding environment
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of aviation security protocols
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
Federal Air Marshal Requirements
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must pass a comprehensive background check
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to remain calm and composed in a variety of situations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Ability to pass physical and psychological tests