Our Art Handler job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Art Handler role
An art handler is responsible for safely packing, unpacking, installing, and transporting artwork. They are knowledgeable in the handling and care of a variety of art materials and are skilled in the use of specialized equipment, such as a hand truck, bubble wrap, and packing peanuts.
The primary purpose of an art handler is to safely transport, store, and install artwork and other objects of cultural significance. Art handlers may work in a variety of settings, including museums, galleries, auction houses, private collections, and commercial art storage facilities. They must possess a good working knowledge of various types of art materials and techniques, as well as the ability to handle both large and small-scale objects. Art handlers must also be familiar with the principles of safe handling, packing, and shipping of artwork, including the use of appropriate packing materials and equipment. In addition, they must have the physical dexterity to carefully move objects of various sizes and weights.
Art Handler Summary
The Art Handler is responsible for the safe and secure handling, packing, and transport of artwork for galleries, museums, and collectors. The Art Handler must be knowledgeable in a variety of packing materials and techniques, as well as the use of tools, such as pallet jacks, dollies, and hand trucks. They must have the ability to lift and move large and heavy objects with care and precision. The Art Handler must have a keen eye for detail and be alert to any potential hazards or risks. They must be able to collaborate with other staff members and be able to assess, diagnose, and solve any problems that may arise. The Art Handler must be able to follow instructions, work independently, and maintain a clean and organized work space.
Art Handler Duties
- Pack, transport and install fine artworks
- Unpack, condition report, and store incoming artwork
- Maintain and organize storage areas
- Perform art handling, mounting, or installation tasks
- Handle artwork with the utmost care and attention to detail
- Assist in the organization and participation of exhibitions
Art Handler Skills
- Lifting and carrying
- Packing and unpacking
- Transporting artwork
- Securing artwork
- Condition checking
- Experience with installation
Art Handler Requirements
- Able to lift and move artwork safely
- Ability to carry out basic repairs and conservation techniques
- Capable of installing artwork and sculptures
- Knowledge of industry best practices and safety standards
- Proficient with measuring and cutting tools
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team