Our Acquisitions Librarian job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Acquisitions Librarian role
An Acquisitions Librarian is responsible for the acquisition and processing of library materials, such as books, journals, and other media. They obtain materials through purchase, donation, or interlibrary loan, and manage acquisitions budgets. They also monitor and maintain currency of library collections.
The purpose of an Acquisitions Librarian is to manage the acquisition and cataloging of library materials such as books, periodicals, digital media, and other resources. This involves selecting, ordering, receiving, and processing materials to ensure that library collections are organized and up-to-date. Acquisitions Librarians may also negotiate contracts, maintain budgets, and collaborate with vendors. Additionally, they may provide technical support and training on library systems and software.
Acquisitions Librarian Summary
The Acquisitions Librarian is responsible for managing the library’s acquisitions process. This includes identifying, ordering, and cataloging new materials, as well as maintaining and updating existing collections. The librarian works with library staff to determine the library’s collection needs, and to ensure that the collections meet the needs of the library’s patrons. The librarian also works with vendors to acquire materials at the best price and to ensure timely delivery. This position requires strong knowledge of library procedures, excellent organizational skills, and excellent communication and customer service skills.
Acquisitions Librarian Duties
- Research potential acquisitions and decide which materials to purchase
- Maintain budget records and monitor spending
- Negotiate with vendors to acquire materials at the best price
- Develop policies and procedures for acquisitions
- Train other staff and library users in the use of acquisitions systems
- Stay current with library trends and new technologies
Acquisitions Librarian Skills
Acquisitions Librarian Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Library Science or a related field
- Knowledge of current and emerging library technologies
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in library-specific computer applications and systems
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- Ability to interpret legal documents