Our Choker Setter job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Choker Setter role
A Choker Setter is a job that involves setting up and operating machinery to tie a choker, or heavy rope, around a log so it can be safely hauled or dragged away. This job requires experience operating heavy equipment and an understanding of choker rigging and knot tying techniques.
The purpose of a Choker Setter is to secure logs and other materials by means of chokers, which are steel cables or chains used for lifting and moving heavy objects. The Choker Setter is responsible for measuring and cutting the appropriate length of cable needed for the job, then attaching the choker to the load and the crane, ensuring a secure and safe lift. They must also inspect the chokers prior to use and maintain a log of all choker sets made.
Choker Setter Summary
Choker Setter Job Summary:
The Choker Setter is responsible for safely and efficiently operating choker setting equipment to set chokers in timber and other logging operations. The successful applicant must possess excellent physical strength and stamina, and be able to work in a variety of weather conditions. The Choker Setter must have a valid driver's license, and be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen. This position requires the successful applicant to have the ability to read and understand maps and directions, as well as knowledge of operating equipment and working in a logging environment. The ability to perform basic mathematical calculations is also required. The Choker Setter will be responsible for following safety rules and regulations, and must be able to work as part of a team.
Choker Setter Duties
- Installing chokers around logs and lumber
- Ensuring chokers are properly tightened
- Checking logs and lumber to ensure they are secure
Choker Setter Skills
- Setting chokers on logs
- Manually lifting and setting chokers
- Working in a fast-paced environment
- Following safety protocols
Choker Setter Requirements
- Ability to operate a choker setter machine
- Must have experience in logging operations
- Good physical fitness and dexterity
- Knowledge of applicable safety regulations
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs