Our Cattle Buyer job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Cattle Buyer role
A Cattle Buyer is responsible for purchasing cattle and other livestock from farmers and producers, evaluating the animals, and negotiating prices. They must be knowledgeable about the market and the quality of livestock to ensure that buyers are getting the best possible deal.
The purpose of a cattle buyer is to purchase cattle for resale or for use in the production of meat products. The buyer inspects the cattle for health and condition and evaluates the quality and quantity of the animals. The buyer then negotiates a price with the seller and makes the purchase. The buyer must be knowledgeable about the market, breed standards, and current trends in the cattle industry. The buyer is also responsible for ensuring that all documents and payments related to the purchase are completed and processed in a timely manner.
Cattle Buyer Summary
The Cattle Buyer is responsible for purchasing cattle from local farms and ranches, as well as from auctions and other sources. The Cattle Buyer must have knowledge of the cattle market, including current pricing and trends. The Cattle Buyer should possess excellent negotiation and communication skills, as well as the ability to analyze and evaluate potential purchases. The Cattle Buyer is also responsible for providing customer service to buyers, sellers, and other industry contacts. The Cattle Buyer should have a valid driver's license and access to transportation to visit farms and ranches.
Cattle Buyer Duties
- Inspect cattle for health and soundness
- Negotiate prices with sellers
- Arrange transportation and delivery of cattle
- Purchase cattle from producers
- Maintain records of cattle purchases
Cattle Buyer Skills
- Assess cattle for quality and health
- Negotiate prices and terms of purchase
- Maintain relationships with suppliers
Cattle Buyer Requirements
- Excellent knowledge of cattle breeds
- Strong communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be organized and detail-oriented
- Proficiency in computerized record keeping systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good negotiation skills
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours