Our Animal Technician job description includes the Administrative Assistant responsibilities, duties, skills, education, qualifications, and experience.
About the Animal Technician role
Animal Technicians provide technical support and assistance to veterinarians, research scientists, and other professionals in the animal care and research field. They maintain records, monitor animals for signs of illness, administer treatments, and perform laboratory tests. Animal Technicians also maintain the environment and cleanliness of animal enclosures and equipment.
The purpose of an animal technician is to provide technical and administrative support for the care and management of laboratory animals in a research facility. This includes providing animal husbandry and veterinary care, monitoring animal health, and assisting with research studies. Animal technicians are responsible for the humane care and management of laboratory animals, following applicable laws and regulations, and adhering to ethical standards of animal care. They must also maintain accurate records and prepare reports as required.
Animal Technician Summary
Animal Technician Job Summary
An Animal Technician is responsible for providing care for animals in a laboratory setting. This includes feeding, cleaning, monitoring, and providing medical treatment as needed. The Animal Technician must be knowledgeable about animal health and safety, and must be able to handle animals safely and humanely. The Animal Technician must also be able to communicate effectively with other staff members and be able to follow instructions from supervisors. Responsibilities include maintaining animal health records, preparing and administering medications, and assisting with research projects. The ideal candidate should have experience working with animals and knowledge of laboratory safety protocols.
Animal Technician Duties
- Monitoring animal health and welfare
- Providing routine care and cleaning of animal enclosures
- Preparing and administering diets
- Assisting with laboratory procedures
- Maintaining accurate records of research
Animal Technician Skills
- Knowledge of animal physiology and anatomy
- Experience with laboratory animals
- Proficiency with laboratory equipment and software
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Animal Technician Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience working with animals
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to safely lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work with a variety of animals
- Good communication skills
- Ability to follow instructions
- Attention to detail